Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beer Trip #1 pt. 2


Continuing with my trip to Sonoma County and the surrounding area,

My friend Damien and I drove another 16 or 17 miles north from Petaluma to Santa Rosa, home of Peanuts Gang creator Charles Schultz (and locale of Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt). A couple of locals had recommended stopping at downtown's Third Street Aleworks, but we were short on time, at least happy hour time. So we set up camp at the Travelodge and walked over to the Russian Ri
ver Brewing Company. From what I saw on BeerAdvocate.com and other online beer hubs, RRBC is one of the highest rated breweries in the country! RRBC brews an incredible diversity of beers, including a few different IPA's and a large collection of Belgian ales. Most of these brews, especially the Belgians, are incredibly strong, both in flavor and alcohol content...A patron seated next to me asked about my plans for this blog. I told him I was doing what interested me and I'd see where it would get me. His reply: "It's going to get you drunk."

Beer Esteam: A "California Common," this steam beer shares similarities with San Francisco's Anchor Steam. It's amber brown in color with a lightly toasted lining, and has some cloudiness to it. Taste-wise, it packs a rich blend of caramel and fruit, with a fair balance and a malty finish. Abv = 5.65%. The Glass is Half Empty.


Salvation: This is a strong dark Belgian ale that may remind one of a stronger version of dunkelweizen. In terms of color, it's a dark brown with an amber tint, cloudy, and has a toasted white lining. It has a high level of carbonation and a strong, malty finish. Like Bavarian brews, this is rich in fruit (especially banana). I thought the levels of malt and carbonation were a little too high to my liking, but I still dig this brew with every sip. Abv = 9.00% The Glass is Just About Empty.

Consecration: Now I acknowledge my beer tasting skills to be novice at best, but I cannot give this beer a proper review since the taste is very foreign to me. This cabernet barrel-aged brew has a definite sour taste and has a smooth consistency that is nearly identica
l to wine. It doesn't have much of a lining to it, and the red/purple coloring to it may encourage your friend to ask, "May I try some of your wine?" I say give it a go. Abv = 10.00%.

Pliny the Elder: This has an amazing floral blend and has a smooth finish in that the hops do not overpower the taste. It's an intriguing double IPA with an orange hue and a fairly clear white head. It is one of the highest reviewed brews on BeerAdvocate.com, so I definitely recommend it (though I prefer the hoppy kick from Sierra Nevada Torpedo). Abv = 8.00%. The Glass is Just About Empty.

Damnation: This is a Belgian golden ale with a sort of juicy aroma and a strong malty kick. I only tried a sip or two of this brew, but I can say it's like drinking a stronger version of Hoegaarden. Abv = 7.00%. The Glass is Half Empty.

Perdition: This "Biere de Sonoma" is primarily fruit-composed. Red-brown in color, this brew has a mellow aroma but a bit of a malty presence. I only had a sip or two so I don't have a score.

These are some of the most carefully crafted brews I've tasted, despite my little experience with beer. I plan to return to this brewey, and next time I hope to enjoy some of their food, too (I heard great things about the pizza). Come on in during happy hour, or catch a baseball game over pizza and IPA.

Official Russian River Brewing Co. Website
__________________

Coming up next: Moylan's brewery in Novato, a general recap of Beer Trip #1, and a review of Hoppy Brewing Company's Total Eclipse Black Ale.

You Stay Hoppy California,

Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment