Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beer Trip #1 pt 3: Pizza, Bruno, Hiking, and More Beer!


Carrying on from Santa Rosa,

Damien and I stopped for a bite at Mary's Pizza Shack, a small Northern California chain with some killer eats. We split a garlic chicken pizza, and while it was a good size for two full grown men, we probably could have ordered our own individual medium pizzas. The garlic wasn't overpowering and the caramelized onions were heavenly. So we were coming off a fine outing of beer tasting, but I do not lie when I say this was easily one of the best pizzas I've ever had (you heard me CPK). But this is a beer blog, and I don't want to divert too much time away from it.

So we concluded the evening by going to see Bruno, which was hysterical. Go see for yourself. The next day, we left Santa Rosa to go for a hike at Helen Putnam Regional Park, just southwest of Petaluma (home of Lagunitas). It was a small park but had a number of pleasant trails. I had not hiked in years, so this was a rather cathartic momen
t for me. I highly recommend getting outdoors when on a trip, especially if you're beer tasting.

Further southbound from Southbound, we took a back road to the town of Novato, which lies just off of highway 101. I was on a quest to experience Moylan's, a British/Irish brewpub not too far from the highway. I had hardly read anything about this establishment, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is a very open spaced brewery with a large collection of brews on tap. You can even purchase 6 packs and half gallon growlers there, and believe me, after trying just two of the beers, I was quite tempted. Damien ordered the Hopgarten Pilsner, which was quite different from the Czech pilsners I've had before. I don't have any notes on it, but I just remember it being clearly the best Pilsner I had ever tasted (The Glass is Just About Empty). The pint I had was one of Moylan's Special Beer, an English pale ale served from a nitrogen tap. I was very surprised with how much the head was retained throughout the entire beer. Then again, I was surprised with how smooth the brew was from start to finish. Any craft beer that gives me a beer 'stache upon first sip gets the nod. The Glass is Just About Empty (nearly a 5/5).

Moylan's Brewery and Restaurant
Mary's Pizza Shack

No comments:

Post a Comment