Monday, March 28, 2011

Anheuser-Busch to Acquire Goose Island Chicago

Have You Heard The News?
So as you may have heard earlier today, Anheuser Busch has announced that it will acquire Goose Island, a renown craft brewery based in Chicago. AB will acquire 58% of Goose Island's stock. 

Many of you out there were probably dissatisfied with Goose Island's "selling out." So was I for that matter. I lived in Chicago for five months and experienced how this brewery had a firm but warm grip on an emerging Midwest beer culture. They make some quality brews, and I think what I'm getting at in their reviews is that we, the consumers, might benefit from this. At least for us on the West Coast, we'll be able to enjoy a mild winter with a Goose Island Winter or a hot summer with a 312 urban wheat ale fresh off the draft. Think about it: craft beer has made enough noise to which a large brewing titan has had to earn a majority share. Anheuser Busch was partially responsible for Goose Island's success anyway; they've been GI's distributor for several years. Let's also not forget that Goose Island was part of the Craft Brewer's Alliance, a group of four high-capacity craft breweries including Widmer Bros., Redhook and Kona, and that Anheuser Busch was a minority share holder of the CBA. 

In short, expect to see more mergers, acquisitions and collab-brew-ations from larger breweries and international locales. We've already seen this with European breweries, both among each other and with American resources, and now we're seeing the community grow from the top-down. Anheuser Busch is obviously trying to get a piece of the pie, and this is clearly a great outlet. But, as stated in their press release, AB doesn't want to ruin what has been a formula for success.  Do Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams change their formula when increasing capacity? Does Kona Pipeline Porter or Longboard lager automatically suck when it's allied with poser breweries like Redhook? Barkeep...toss a Fire Rock (pale ale) my way!

And don't tell me you won't drink at a social gathering just because there's no craft beer. Drinking beer is part of our lives. Sure, I don't like Budweiser or Bud Light, but I won't say no to a 'dog and a Bud at a baseball game or friend's barbeque.  If only crappy beer was better too!

So for more on this controversial decision, head over to the guys who do it right in Boston, my friend Chris Furnari and Brewbound.com. Chris was my editor when I wrote for the sports section of our university newspaper. They've got great news and content on that site And to listen to a little more about my thoughts on the matter, head over to my YouTube channel.

You Stay Hoppy California,
Pink

For more craft beer news, follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment