Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ninkasi Re-newal Irish Style Red Ale Review

Happy Saturday to all of you out there,

Here's a review of the Irish Style Red Ale from Eugene, OR brewery Ninkasi. It's a unique Irish red inthat it's actually a little more balanced. Irish reds are conventionally all-malt beers that take on a moderate-full body. They're a little bit of a step down from a stout in body and frequently use roasted malt and sometimes a touch of chocolate malt. You'll usually find one of these beers to be of a moderate alcohol level.

Ninkasi's rendition of the Irish red almost comes off as a session beer at 5.2% abv, and with a warming mouthfeel that does not distort you with maltiness, you finish the beer with the impression of consuming another one. The roasted malt is the main characteristic of the tasting experience, and in a way it subdues the malty complexion. Head retention is good, and as with other Irish reds, you get a pleasant rubybrown hye. I was hoping to get some of the chocolate malt in this beer, and I wish the finish pulled along the roasted malt a little more. Of course this is characteristic of the beer anyway. I'm not too keen on Irish reds, but I find Ninkasi's Re-newel a welcoming addition to the beers I've had. If you find a cool spot in your April (it's already getting warm in Northern California), then I recommend you pick this brew up.The glass is half empty - a 3/5 beer recommended by yours truly.

By the way, see my video review and some other cool coverage of craft beer right here at My YouTube Channel. And be also sure to follow me on Twitter at CaliBrew Twitter

You Stay Hoppy California,
Pink


No comments:

Post a Comment